Posts Tagged Brian Shaler
BitGravity just launched a subdomain for their sandbox projects, and the first release is a free flash video player. Lead developer, Dean Casalena provides a great video demonstration and writeup of player features. I don’t do a lot of video. Correction, I don’t do any video (unless you count 12seconds). But the BG player is sexy enough that I almost wish I did.
I’ve seen BitGravity players in action with MultiView, revealed during a special episode of Diggnation, and various live streams set up by Brian Shaler. Each time, I’ve been impressed by the production and player quality, so I assume this new player is up to par. But what really sets my branding and marketing heart a beating is the theming options. The interface allows you to insert your logo into the viewer and change the colors of the player’s status bar. This ability to customize is great from a branding perspective.
It’s not uncommon for individuals, startups, and small businesses to search out low cost ways to meet their needs. In the process, they must settle for the default appearance of a tool, usually designed to reinforce someone else’s brand. With the BG player, there’s no need to settle. You still have the BG logo on the left of the status bar, which is great because it denotes quality. But the rest of the player is all you!
Note: This message is inspired in part by BitGravity co-founder, Barrett Lyon. I’m guessing I popped on his radar with this tweet, and he reached out to say thanks. Just thanks. That’s it. Simple and easy. Yet that acknowledgement led to me to talk twice more, on Twitter and here, focusing on exactly what I liked about the BG player … twice more than I probably would have otherwise. That’s community/fan/advocate relationship building. Bravo!
Last night I attended my 2nd Refresh Phoenix meeting. And of course the after party, where there occurred, among other things, a rather odd moment…
tweet tweet “sittin in Ling & Louie’s when a man walks thru the dining room carryin a toilet. how bizzare!”
Of course much bathroom related commentary and humor ensued. But also reminded me of this:
Fellas, how’d ya like to use this bathroom? Would it boost your ego? Or make you self-conscious? I tend to like bathrooms, at least the cool and unusual ones. And I find the concept rather amusing. ;-)
Now, fun stuff aside, I’d be remiss if I didn’t actually talk about Refresh, especially as it was demo night and there were some interesting, and fun (yes, more fun) stuff presented. As I was late, I only caught a few. Of particular interest (to me of course):
1) Erica Lucci (@EricaLucci) of Integrum Technologies presented Read Phoenix, an aggregator of blogs and bloggers in the Phoenix. (I’ll add myself one day, i.e. when I’m blogging with more frequency and value…perhaps when I publish a draft of a time map project that’s been incubating for two weeks.)
2) Brian Shaler (@brianshaler) presented XID, a tool for locating and engaging friends on multiple platforms by creating a linked list of a user’s web presence. XID is still in development, but Brian regularly provides updates on the XID Development Blog. (Def excited…can’t wait for launch.)
3) Matt Gist (@aparticularpath) and Matt Heidemann (@heidmotron) presented nehmehyeh, an app that allows users to record their moods everyday of the year. It’s a different spin on Flicker365 and other apps and groups centered around self-portraiture. (This may find it’s way into my time map project.)
*If anyone can has other links I can attach to any of these folks, holla.
digital self-portraiture by a…brand strategist • runner • recovering architecture student • aspiring geek • social media fanatic • merciless flirt • mentor • dancer • people addict • tech groupie • rogue advocate
Meet me atUpcoming conferences and events will be posted here...
- 3.7 miles in 35 minutes = 9:27 pace
- HIM: what do you think of my boy? ME: I think you're asking cause he's interested. « dodging questions. I make things pointlessly difficult.
- @jana_bkind @RightThisMinute shoot, I might be "russian" out to try it, too!
- @EllenStreiff great guns, I'll take it! :) glad to hear about the movie. it's on my list to watch.
- happy birthday to my sister, @jesmc!
Tags#snapshoot #SWPhx #SWPhx08 43 Things @chuckreynolds adoption Angel Ruiz art avatar Barack Obama blogging brain crack branding Brian Shaler Christmas crowdsourcing dance dianewallace Diane Wallace family fashion film getmetosxsw gifts goals humanity Mark Wallace merciless flirt Paulo Coelho PodCamp AZ self-portraiture shopping SnapFactory social media social networking social networks South by Southwest Startup Weekend SXSW Terralever The Alchemist Twitter tysoncrosbie Tyson Crosbie wish list