Where it started…
On January 29, a handful of the #phx social media / web tech / interactive marketing crowd broke into conversation about the upcoming South by Southwest Interactive March 13-17 in Austin, Texas. Lots of people are going. Some people desperately want to go but don’t know if the can. I fall into this last group with my don’t knows fueled primarily by fundage issues. But let’s focus on the positives, otherwise known as my desperate want to go and my ideas for how to get there.
What is SXSW…
What started as a music conference and festival has since expanded to include nine days of immersion in music, film and interactive media. SXSW has it all. Keynotes, panels, trade shows, film screenings, listening parties, product launches, book readings, socializing, networking, reputable knowledge leaders, unreputable celebrities, up-and-comers.
Why I want to go…
Rather than bore you to tears with the long list, here are my top five:
- Absorb, learn and participate in dynamic conversations that dissect the current and foreshadow the future of interactive and social media.
- Extend and deepen my socially-networked connections.
- Promote projects I’m working on, and to discover others that promise exciting opportunities for sum is greater than parts collaboration.
- Rock the nine to five AM that underpins the learn hard play hard lifestyle.
- Beat Gary Vaynerchuk in poker for the third time.
Ideas for how to get there…
This is the part where I need some help…
- Get on a panel.
- Be a spokesperson for a company or product looking to launch.
- Be a SWAG girl.
- Sell my left forearm.
- Trade strategy, marketing, and social media services in exchange for conference and travel expenses.
- Flirt my way in.
I don’t believe anyone is going to send me to SXSW without expecting a little ROI. And that’s fine. I dig mutually beneficial arrangements, so if you’ve got a lead or proposal for me, hit me up on Twitter or email ( heather lynne herr at gmail dot com ).